How to Build a SEO Content Strategy | 2019 SEO Best Practices
Write a unique title for each page of a website
The title tag is a part of the HTML code that helps search engines understand the content of a page. That is why title optimization is crucial for page ranking.
- Write unique titles for each web page.
- Keep your titles less than 70 characters long.
- Include up to 2 keywords into titles (avoid such keywords as free, cheap as it will look like spam)
- You can use a brand name in your titles but it is no need to use it on each page of a website as it will decay the user perception.
Create unique meta descriptions for each page
The meta description is a tag in HTML that users see in SERP as a snippet - a preview of the page content which shows whether the page fits their query.
- Write unique meta description for each page.
- Keep the snippets up to 320 characters as Google shows only the first 320 characters of it.
- Include keywords into a meta description, but avoid keyword stuffing.
- Make sure that all snippets are informative and reflect what a page is about.
- Occasionally, you can use a brand name in your description. Don’t overuse it though.
Optimize H-tags (heading tags)
Heading tags are parts of the HTML code that indicate a title (a heading) and subheadings on a page. There are six levels of heading tags: from H1 (the most influential) to H6 (the least influential). A proper distribution of keywords between H-tags shows the search robots which keywords are more important than others.
- H1 tag - is a title of a content on a page. You should use only one H1 tag per page.
- You need to define the weight of the keywords you use on the page. Then you need to specify which keywords to include in the H-Tags. The more important the keyword the higher in the hierarchy of H-tags it should be.
- Keep the structure of the page simple. Try not to use more than three levels of H-tags (h1-h3).
- Don't use H tags with other tags such as <strong> or <em>.
Use Alt tags for every image
Alt tag is an attribute within an img tag. It is a short (up to 5 words) description of a picture it is related to. Alt tag helps search engines understand faster what’s on a picture. Alt tag also help users: if by any reason an image is not displayed, users will see its description.
- All alt-tags should be unique.
- Describe your images using no more than 5 words.
- Use one keyword in Alt images, avoid keyword stuffing.
- Optimize title images.
Optimize content both for robots and humans
Search robots are on the user’s side - they appreciate a unique and useful content. It’s crucial to include keywords in your content, but they need to make sense and look natural.
- Create unique content for every page of your website. Any duplicate content will harm your rankings. Use an On-Page SEO Audit tool to check how well a content of a particular page of your website is optimized for a specific query. It helps to detect a plagiarism and other possible issues with your on-site texts.
- Take time to proofread texts t on your website. Search engines can consider your content as substandard if it has a lot of grammatical errors.
- Keep keyword density with max 3-5% in every article. Avoid keyword stuffing, because you can get Google penalties for that.
Create fresh and trendy content
A website’s content should correspond to user's demand: be eye-catching and relevant.
- Conduct a deep research on your product and define the main competitors. Catch fresh ideas and trends, but don’t be afraid to experiment.
- Analyze news and events in your field.
- Know the loves and pains of your audience, create a content attends to their needs.
Develop a content plan
The content plan is a list of content pieces with defined due dates. Regular content updates on a site plays a significant role in the website’s ranking.Content plan helps keep track of the upcoming pieces of content streamlining the processes of content creating and publishing.
- Divide your content plan into several sections that correspond to your content channels: articles for SEO and marketing needs, blog posts, content for new landings, and other on-site materials, etc.
- Establish channel priority for the upcoming month and point out how many pieces of content you should create for for every of them.
- After that, you need to choose topics for every article.
- Finally, distribute tasks between your copywriters or freelance content developers.
Add a blog to a website
A blog is a powerful marketing instrument for attracting, engaging, and converting users. Blog can also help significantly in improving a website rankings in SERP.
- Regular content updates.
- You can naturally add all keywords that you need in your blog posts.
- You can do smart interlinking in your blog by adding links in articles to your products, services or other articles.
- A blog helps enhance a backlink profile of a website.
- Blog materials help to create brand awareness and improve customer engagement through social media expansion.
Additional info: 19 On-Site SEO Factors Search Engine Optimization